Tuesday 25 March 2014

The S/S Fashion Checklist


I am so excited for Spring next month but it isn't only due to the chocolate eggs. Little by little I have been building my Spring/Summer wardrobe with classic staples and some seasonal trend items thrown in for good measure. I think the high street have done a great job translating beautiful designer catwalk fashions from London Fashion Weekend into affordable and accessible clothing for all. So, here is my S/S checklist edit of pieces I have been collecting in anticipation of Easter.


The Bright Sweater
The weather in Sheffield has gone from freak heat wave back to drizzle overcast and for Britain these extreme shifts are a common thing all year through. So, despite Spring approaching jumpers and knitwear are still pieces high on my agenda. But printed and colourful sweaters are giving the normally neutral, wintry garment a sunny lift. Topshop have this sweater available in a few shades including lime green, dusty blue and the colour I chose, coral red. This is a lightweight but warm way to inject a pop of colour into a look that can be teamed effortlessly with jeans or a pretty skirt. If I could I’d be hauling one in every hue but at £24 that would soon accumulate!

Skirts all-round
We now have the peplum skirt but frankly skirt in every variety is the biggest wardrobe must have for S/S. The infamous basic is now the centre of attention for outfits, with more and more experimentation and creativity being played out. The pencil skirt was the IT item for A/W 2013 and that means the mini skirt is one of the key ways to rock this season. Opposites are what fashion is all about. So far I have a pencil, midi, high low (longer at the back than the front), a grey, a black, a colourful and a patterned skirt. So, I pretty much have every area ticked but not quite. My all-time favourite timeless tight mini skirt from Topshop has broke meaning I need a close-fitting piece to replace it. So far I have been loving a couple of mini skirts from George, especially the textured side-zip number at a cool £12. So, may be I won’t have to wait long to complete my skirt collection.


The White Crop Jacket
For equal reasons to the first Spring checklist piece this next one is down to weather. But I think layering and having a jacket is something appropriate for wherever you live in the world. The difference will be its fabric. My white crop jacket is a thick and durable cotton material which means I keep my arms from getting goose pimples whilst still looking Spring-like. I have a thing for biker jackets and this one delivers on such an infatuation with its leather jacket silhouette and zippers. But if you prefer you could opt for a more sheer and silky white crop jacket to wear over string tops for instance, as a way of layering without getting over heated. And if you want some serious style points don’t forget to add a patterned cropped jacket in to the mix.

 Royal Blue and Midi-Skirts
Blue, blue and more blue. The fashion week shows were a wash of the royal hue adding a contemporary twist to the normal pastoral colour wheel of Spring fashion. Dusty and pretty pastels were aplenty but it was the highly pigmented and bold blue that every designer seemed to be incorporating into their collections. Thankfully, as a lover of this shade I have been clocking up a few beautiful blue clothing already. This blue crop top from Topshop is a casual and on-trend way to work the intense shade. Teamed with a midi-skirt, albeit not a colourful one and this is one look fulfilling several trends.


So, that is my breakdown of pieces to work into your existing wardrobes in order to be Spring/Summer ready. Of course, there are plenty more. I am yet to find a yellow shift dress as yellow and lime green are other vibrant shades making up this season’s palette. But what fun would there be without the chase? What is your favourite Spring checklist piece for this season?

7 comments :

  1. i love these outfits! x
    http://www.catchingdreamsblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great simple but stylish outfits! Really like the white trouser/red jumper combo and that jacket!

    Sarah
    www.daisychainsanddreamers.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a nice alternative to the normal black trouser and top combo but took a leap of faith going for something so white x

      Delete
  3. You look so great ! My fav look is the 2nd one. Your heels are so feminine and chic <3

    http://trend-mae.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bright colour blouses / jumpers! They're perfect for spring :) I loved your outfits, Hollie! x

    www.definitelymycupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig