Monday 10 February 2014

Drugstore Haul / Is Cheaper Better?






It is one of those questions that lingers in the back of our minds when cosmetics shopping. Should I get more for my money and buy cheaper drugstore products or invest in a few more expensive beauty bag staples? Sometimes there isn't an either or when money is tight or your not working but even when money isn't an issue it can still be a lingering thought. Especially when there are so many great high-street cosmetics now on the market. I have always loved a combination of both high-end and low-end make-up. For one I can't financially have a full blown cocktail of expensive products but even with budget being a very real thing for me, as someone who wears make-up everyday and has a blog that covers beauty those special products are a must too. I normally save them for Birthdays, Christmas and other celebratory occasions where you can be gifted such lovely things but I do treat myself from time to time too. 

I have learnt over the years' that saving up for products which may have a larger pricetag but have amazing reviews is the way to go - especially when your beautybag in full and you don't need to repurchase lots at once. But when you do run out of a lot of products at once more likely than not it is more cost effective to either buy a combination of high-end and high-street or full on high-street. It is all about keeping the flow and keeping the balance of your beauty favourites and newcomers. Repurchasing the ones you can't live without and replacing those which you tried but didn't like.

So, I had my own dilemma recently. In need of a concealer and face powder but with Valentines and birthdays approaching I was torn between spending £43 on Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer and Sheer Finish Pressed Powder or try my hand at some high-street products I've heard good things about. For a price difference of £32 I opted to give the Maybelline Eye Eraser and Collection 2000 Sheer Powder a chance. Along with those I was able to pick up some other pieces I had my eye on; a new nail polish, lip colour and eyelashes which only totalled an extra ten pounds. So, in this instance I thought trying out these cheaper products was worth it and if they turned out great would save me pennies in the future. But the risk is that they become a waste of money and it could have been £20 towards more reliable formulas. Regardless, I tried them and my review of each product are as follows:

Collection 2000 Sheer Loose Powder in Translucent - I've read some mixed reviews about this powder, the negatives claiming it makes their face orange, looks cakey and doesn't last all day. When I used it I made sure that I moistured before foundation as I always do and used an under eye primer. I then used my RealTechniques Contour brush to dabble the powder over my concealer and inbetween my brows. That is the only areas I used powder and I recommend that people keep the areas they apply powder to a minimum. I thought for a £2.99 pricetag this was a great product. It wasn't cakey at all - infact it still allowed for a little sheen to come through on the forehead which I like as I still like to look dewy. This is a sheer translucent powder and shouldn't be used to create very matte complexions. I think those that got an orange face used too much product and used it all over the face using incorrect tools and a heavy hand. My advice, don't use the powder application the product comes with. Use a brush and use a little amount in specific problem areas - you can always build but not take away. So, for something that helps keep concealer put it works effectively. Yes, oily skin would need to top up throughout the day. But for the money if used correctly it would last ages and be a great backup for powder lovers. Ultimately, I think it is best for those like me who don't use powder much and splurging on a high-end powder probably wouldn't be the most appropriate. Am I still craving Bobbi Brown's Sheer Finish Powder? Despite everything I still am! It must be the packaging...

Maybelline Eraser Eye Concealer in Light - Again this was a product with mixed reviews. Some people thought it dried their skin and didn't have much staying power. With concealer you have to make sure the undereye is moistured and has some sort of primer on. I used Benefit Porefessional. The reason you need to do this is to firstly, prevent concealers drying out the skin and cracking as most do have a setting agent that helps it stay put but we have to treat the skin prior to make sure that that staying power doesn't ruin the effect. I got the concealer in Light and was a little surprised by how yellow the colour looked on the skin. In the photographs I think it is obvious where concealer has been applied as it leaves the subtle yellow tone. This is a shame as the Nude shade would be too dark. Unfortunately in the UK there are only those two shades available. But this shade may match another's skintone much better and for me it just means pairing it with a bit more bronzer and probably eyeshadow. I was really impressed with the coverage and felt everything was illuminated and lightened. I always have an issue with covering my creases around the bottom lashline and tear duct. Because of this I would still be intrigued to see if Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer would hide this more. For now though I will happily use this product.

Collection 2000 Cream Puff Lip Cream in Fairy Cake - I hadn't heard much about this product but with a two for £5 offer across Collection 2000 I thought why not? The colour is really pigmented and applies with ease. I was pleasantly surprised with the luxurious velvet matte effect that more high-end lip products provide. But after a few minutes the lip cream really dried out my lips and made lip lines really prominent. Thankfully teamed with Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream this was eliminated but the colour is no longer matte or highly pigmented. Instead it is much more subtle and more like a semi-matte creamy lipstick. For the money though I am still impressed and would recommend for those who don't have dry lips. Next time I'll make sure to exfoliate and apply balm prior to application and this may provide better results.  

Eylure Naturalites False Eyelashes 107 - I have always rated Eylure eyelashes. For a cheaper alternative they make a real statement and are great quality. This shape creates a feline slender eye with the tapered cut that elongates and thickens towards the outer corners. The glue keeps them stuck for hours, just make sure you don't cry or have a leaky eye as this quickly lifts the edges. I would highly recommend these beauties and they are often on offer! I got these for a reduced price of £3.99. However, if you are going to be going through a phase of partying or a period where you'll be needing lashes quite often then I would choose Mac lashes. These are only £10 and can last much longer that Eylure lashes if looked after. Plus Mac lashes just feel that whole lot more special for not much more cash. 

Maybelline Colour Show Nail Varnish in Nebine - I don't have any swatches of this varnish yet as I wanted you guys to wait until I released my Valentines inspired makeup look where this varnish features. So, keep your eyes pealed for that. But let me tell you this is such a pretty colour. Perfectly feminine and with two - three coats it is really pigmented and shiny. A lovely girly shade that dries fairly fast too. Not sure how chip resistant it is as I have never ever had a varnish which doesn't chip on my nails after a couple of days due to my nails flaking. So, it may last much longer on you. But on fake nails it should last up to two weeks before needed a fresh coat. Especially if you team it with a chip-free top coat or gel setting finish. 

Overall, I am happy and impressed with this drugstore lot, there are some shinning stars amongst them and all will happily suffice in creating beautiful make-up. But honestly, I am still thinking about those Bobbi Brown products and know ultimately one day I will cave just so I can stop thinking and wondering about there qualities. But for those on a budget and unable to splurge the high-street has some amazing products that can actually rival high-end. A big pricetag doesn't automatically mean better quality - I have had some expensive products I really didn't like - but it all comes down to personal taste and income. For now, I am happy with aspiring to the good stuff and having a great combination of both cheap and luxury. 

6 comments :

  1. Your skin looks fab!

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really great review, I love how you've included possible reasons products didn't work for you and ways to improve that with others - so many people just slate a product straight away without thinking it could have been down to them using it incorrectly. I may give the Collection Lip Cream a go in the summer when my lips are less dry as the colour looks gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good post, I like having a mix of high-end and high street too :) the Collection lip cream is really pretty :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of that concealer! :) Great post lovely!

    Ellis Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only have 2 or 3 products considered high-end and my makeup collection isn't starting, i always opted to try drugstore brands and i always found amazing products for an amazing price so i never had that curiosity about trying high end and pricey products before .. I think we can make good deals at the drugstore brands but it's always great to have a mix of both worlds :)
    Amazing post and reviews xx
    http://marybloomy.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very insightful post! Very much appreciate the follow on bloglovin' also :) Obviously I had to follow you back!

    Lauren xxx

    www.yourlifeplaylist.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig