Monday 12 May 2014

Dealing with Loss


You may have noticed that blogging this week was lacking and if you follow me on twitter or my personal facebook account you'll know why. But for those who don't I wanted to fill you in briefly. Not because I have to but because I want to. 

My Grandad was diagnosed with mesothelioma last year and unfortunately the cancer was incurable. Last week on Monday the whole family was called to the hospice to say our goodbyes and he was deteriorating rapidly. But being his stubborn self he didn't go just yet. We spent day and night round his bed side until his final breath early Friday morning. It has been a whirlwind of emotion, sometimes we would cry and others we would smile and laugh reminiscing about his life. We have done so many things in the run up to his passing to make sure his fleeting time left was full of experiences, including going to the Grand National in style this year. One thing that has been obvious is how much closer our family has grown over the week, spending so much time together. And we were close to begin with. I'll be spending time in-between home and my Nanan's supporting her but I plan on coming back to blogging full-time.

Now you know the reasons why I haven't been blogging much this week I'll leave you with a poem I wrote about my Grandad who loved horse racing, gardening, nature and boating among many other things:

You are there each time we look upon buds in bloom and gardens grown,
Through the gallop of hooves against lush green lawn,
In the sway of water kissed by the sun or shinning moon,
In the simple lyrics of a Kingston tune,
As birds take their flight and sweep across the setting sky,
With outstretched wings and gentle calls as they fly,
The ripple of a boat's flag in gentle breeze,
And the first falling flake of a winter's freeze.
Whether they last mere seconds or days or more,
You are not gone.
It is such moments that remind us, 
You will always live on.

18 comments :

  1. I am sorry about your loss, just take your time to mourn. Spending time with your family will be more important than blogging and your readers will understand that! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support, it means a lot :) x

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your loss this week. Having to say a real goodbye is a difficult experience. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Your poem is beautiful, a fantastic tribute to a man you obviously loved and cherished very very much. xx

    The What's In Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, saying goodbye to someone forever is extremely hard but I am grateful to have that opportunity. Some people don'y get that chance. I'm so glad you like the poem too! He was a fantastic man X

      Delete
  3. Condolences.. Sorry for your loss :( I hope you and your family will recover soon <3 xx hugs from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss, Hollie. I can't even imagine how your family must feel now but I really hope you are all staying strong during these times. I'm sending you a warm hug xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cristina, thank you for your kind words. It is hard but death is a part of life and we all have to experience it in life. It helps having such a big family and the love and support of others :) X

      Delete
  5. That poem is beautiful. Hope he had an amazing life xo

    Hannah Rose// Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannah, I just wanted to do something personal for him. He had a difficult life but dotted with many amazing moments that I'm sure he will cherish X

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about you're loss, I lost my mom just over a year ago now and not a day goes by that I don't miss her. This little poem helped put a smile on my face today, so thank you.I know family really helps but I've found my friends have been beyond amazing. Keep strong, x www.katesperks.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  7. That poem is wonderful Hollie. So sorry for your loss, sending a virtual hug your way <3 X

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely that you were able to create memories before he passed away, sorry to hear about your loss xx

    Hannas’ UK Beauty | Lifestyle blog @ hannatalks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Hollie, I am so sorry for your loss. The poem you wrote is really sweet and the photos of you and your family at The Grand National are very heart warming. I am sure your Granddad had an amazing time with you and your family filled with happy memories and is in a better place now without any suffering <3 Stay strong! Sending love and kisses to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone who has commented, I read every single word and line anyone posts on Give Me More and these are some of the most special of messages. Thank you X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I offer my condolences. It was very hard for me when my grandfather died as well, because he was the first of someone close to me to pass away. I hope you and your family are managing, especially your Nanan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad to read this post, its an interesting one. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. Wedding sherwani

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig