Sunday 16 February 2014

The Good, The Great and The Ugly


Toni&Guy Volume Plumping Mousse / Toni&Guy Sculpting Powder / Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray


The Good - Toni&Guy Sculpting Powder: A sprinkle of this fine dust rubbed into the roots of dry hair really does give instant and visible volume. The bottle is so light too that as something to carry on the go it is easy and effortless to travel with. For those who don't like hairspray, products like this are perfect. And I can only imagine the sort of height you can get with shorter hair! It's flaws? Well you can hardly see if anything is actually coming out of the bottle the stuff is that fine and even on dark hair it is difficult to see the specs of white. So, on blondes this must be even harder to detect. This means I have wasted a lot of product by testing it out on my hand (to see if I had any left!) or putting too much on my scalp. That leads on to the next problem. This stuff like most hair powders is not a nice texture on the hair. It is really stiff and once you have applied it and go out you can't leave your hair the next day without washing it as it just feels dirty. But for a one time application (similar to wash off tan) this is an occasional must-have for those searching for some lift.


The Great - Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray: This is a product with amazing reviews and recommendations and I too am a huge fan. It is an all-rounded product which delivers on both root lift and general thickness throughout hair. It does this with a concoction of ingredients including polymers, which act as setting agents while wheat protein conditions, moisturises and helps repair environmental damage. I am wanting to try out some more of the Bumble & Bumble hair range for thickening hair as I love that bouncy full look and feel like you get noticeable results with their range. I hate it when products promise volume but in reality leaves you feeling flat. But there are two negatives to point out. Firstly, the price as everything from Bumble & Bumble is expensive and frankly I still find it really hard to splash out on hair products like I do beauty. I think overtime this will be an easier thing to do but right now I always feel like it is an incredibly indulgent and unnecessary spend. But if you see great results and use it then really it should be worth every penny! Secondly, if you don't use this product right you can get horrible results. Too much product and hair turns into a horrible texture and consistency. Too little and you can hardly tell any difference. In a professional's hands this would be a holy grail product. So, make sure you do your research and watch application videos to get the best results!

The Ugly - Toni&Guy Volume Plumping Mousse: This product fails as it simply does not lift or add volume to the hair. Also, if you use more than a single pump or a rather large pump hair can look greasy after blow-drying. The formula can be very runny even after a good shake and the nozzle can block easily. It smells okay and the packaging is lovely but as far as a volumising product this just doesn't deliver. The only thing it does sort of do is make hair more manageable and help retain style. I feel mousses aren't great full stop at giving hair volume, sprays and oils are much better overall. But there are definitely better mousses on the market which give some sort of lift and shape - so don't waste your pennies on this one.

P.S. For those discussing the Bumble&Bumble Thickening Hairspray in the comments then the videos I have watched are the ones on their website! That's for the application if any of you are wondering. From what I have heard for the BEST results you really do need to invest in their Prep spray before applying as it provides hair with nutrients which helps any other products used on the hair work better on the hair. So, I think I'll be trying this and seeing if it actually works. It is one of their cheaper products to at £16 for a 200ml bottle. I think you can also get a smaller bottle on their website too.

10 comments :

  1. Great way of presenting these three products. I liked reading about them x

    http://www.definitelymycupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed reading this. Was easy on the eye and very informative =)

    lizzie xx

    http://beautybybungi.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard really great things about the bumble and bumble thickening spray, I'm just really reluctant to part with all that money for it! Great post. x

    Lauren Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to try the Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray. I've heard great things about it!
    xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really struggle to get a good result with the B&B thickening spray. Which videos would you recommend? Maybe I need to rescue it from the box under the bed!

    Chloe x
    www.chloeandhernotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, and title too. ❤️

    xo,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always notice a difference when I use the B&B thickening spray, it gives my roots a much needed lift.

    Hanh | hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi guys! Thanks for the comments :) I have updated the post with more info on the Bumble&Bumble Thickening Spray to answer some of your queries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have recently become a fan of Bumble & Bumble thickening spray, amazing product! x
    Deborah
    moonstoneandmay.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the review, I've never tried Toni & Guy before and now I want to!

    xx Alyson
    Beauty Vanity

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig