Sunday 23 February 2014

Wardrobe Essentials: Every Woman Should Own

Like great make-up, great style starts with the foundations. No matter your style, age, size or height there are key pieces which every woman should have hanging in their wardrobe. Whether you invest in such key items from designer brands or chose budget favourites, having these fashion saviours close to hand will help you out time and time again. Allowing for ultimate versatility and diversion throughout your entire clothes collection by mixing and matching these core staples with your more fashion led garments. So, want to know what I think such style building blocks are? Read on and see if you agree and have the same key purchases! Oh, and this post also doubles up as a shopping haul as they are all very recent buys!

THE LITTLE BLACK DRESS


The classic LBD has been gracing our pavements and helping us feel sophisticated without the effort since Chanel made the mourning hue fashion worthy. It goes without saying how accessible and essential such an item is to a woman's wardrobe. I love them so much, I don't just have one, or two, or three but several... the little black dress has saved me many times from can't decide what to wear days and they are so easy to glam up for the evening too! Getting the cut and shape is where the element of individuality comes into play. This ROMWE dress shakes things up with cute peterpan detailing and a mix of fabrics. If money is no object head to places like Riess for structured shifts but if you are looking after the pennies a dress from George would make a great alternative. I personally think their sheer panel dress makes for a lovely and much more universally wearable adaptation of my ROMWE number.

THE BLAZER



Ah, the infamous blazer. Gone are the days were this garment signified androgyny for women. Now it is synonymous with being a strong, independent woman making their own mark in the world. This is the go-to piece to give a touch of smartness and structure to a look. Ideal for an interview or work but now a firm modern favourite too by pairing with jeans and a simple tee for fuss free chicness. Make sure you have one in black or navy and then feel free to add in print and bold arrays. But for me I like to opt for one that is slightly fitted for a feminine look. My new addition is this piece from H&M with a subtle clasp central fastening. Perfect.

THE EVERYDAY BOTTOMS


If you ever own just two bottoms in your life, they should be a well-fitting pair of jeans and some thick leggings/treggings. Some years back the latter would have been replaced with trousers but oh no, now leggings which are thick enough to be worn as trousers aka treggings have taken centre stage. Both these style warriors work by knowing what to pair them with. My mum is a key example of how to work treggings in your 50's by teaming them with knee high flat patent black boots and a long oversized shirt. The whole thing keeps the derrière covered for peace of mind but looks really contemporary.  Jeans, well it is all about the cut. Whether you choose skinnies, straights, bootcuts or flares it is down to your personal style and shape. Remember that high waistlines can really accentuate your figure - the cut and shape I love the most. These recently purchased black treggings from Topshop look great with bright jumpers and floaty shirts. Cue my next essential...

THE WHITE SHIRT


I cheated here a little because this shirt from H&M isn't quite white. In fact it is more nude or a dusky pink but nevertheless it is light and works in representing the staple which is the white shirt. I am still hunting down my ultimate white shirt as I feel it a crucial piece which works for any skin tone and is perfect for pretty much any occasion. Given the right accessories of course. The white shirt no longer belongs in a man's world, it is very much firmly in a woman's too. But the difference is that whilst the men should opt for a crisp fabric, women should choose more sheer and lightweight textures to keep things feminine and soft. 

THE FOOTWEAR FOURSOME


When it comes to footwear, the colour scheme doesn't stretch that much I'm afraid. By now I am sure you have noticed a running theme of black - excluding the white shirt of course. But black is such a fundamental shade to have in your wardrobe and if I could I’d have every piece I owned also in a plain black version. Because, it just goes with everything, okay except navy but ultimately it is completely dependable. So, when it comes to the footwear foursome I'm thinking a great pair of comfy heels, two pairs of boots, one heeled and one flat (so you have options for both day and night when the weather is cold and wet), and lastly, a pair of pumps (aka flats). All of which should refrain from anything too out there or embellished. Simple is really how to play it as these are the shoes which will tie in with anything you are wearing on top. 

Of course, I could go on all day highlighting other key pieces like trainers, a leather jacket and a pencil skirt but I'm just about all typed out. These however, I think or specifically essential to a woman's wardrobe and I'd love to know whether you agree or have any other suggestions to add to the list! 

*Some areas of this post are intended for promotional purposes

12 comments :

  1. I love that blazer. It looks so flattering and feminine, whilst I find it quite hard to find one that doesn't look "boxy".
    I'm holding a giveaway on my blog and would love for you to enter :) - MAC GIVEAWAY
    Daniela xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniela, thanks for commenting! I like to find one that has a feminine quality. Sorry I never checked out your giveaway, dang and I LOVE Mac lippies x

      Delete
  2. Great post, I love the blazer :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'd own tons in all different colours and styles if I could! x

      Delete
  3. Perfect post! 'the footwear four' is definitely true!x

    Lauren Evie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I wear my black blazer all the time, it just makes an outfit look so much more put together :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely selection of basics! I really need to add a blazer to my wardrobe, but I've yet to find one that works for my shape. I will definitely continue with the hut. :)
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig