Thursday 10 April 2014

The Book Club: April


Those frayed edges are a sign of a much loved book. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is one magical story. I first noticed it in a book store whilst I was searching for another title. I was drawn to its silhouette artwork and ruby red edged pages. It had great reviews and didn't give much away in the blurb. Obviously intentionally to keep the air of mystery alive.  But I put it down and left the shop without buying it. I went in two more times for other books before succumbing to purchasing it. Just at the point when hype was beginning to be made about the tale. 

When I first started reading it I couldn't really get lost in the pages. It seemed slow going and I wondered when the plot would kick in. It is like an adult Harry Potter with magic at its heart. This book is about real magic, almost witchcraft in many ways and how it is used. But I began to fall in love with the characters, ever so slowly and the setting. Which is set in an era of grandeur. The story is briefly about a boy's journey into discovering his destiny and learning his craft. But the magic of the circus is more than jumping through hoops, it is dangerous and there are those which do not agree with this circus or the boy's fate. 

It really starts to take off around half way through when the light bulb moment happens and you feel yourself rushing through the remaining pages anticipating the ending. Which for some was expected but I myself thought it was clever (and a little strange) and satisfying. The whole thing is highly imaginative and artistic, like a fairytale for the mature reader. It has a love story, a complex love story that I won't say anymore on to avoid giving anything away. But for me without those brief moments of intimacy things would have felt a bit alien. It was those times which gave humanity and feeling to the book.

It is hard to review this book in order to not give away any spoilers to potential readers. I want to keep the mystery of the book alive. But also because it does lack a plot somewhat. For me I feel this book should have been shorter with more twists and turns and less decorative descriptions. Although beautifully written at times this can seem a little self-indulgent. Like the writer doesn't want to let you in the the world she has created. As a piece of creative writing I see it for what it is and having persisted with reading it and getting past the pretty boring beginning I feel happy to have read it. I did enjoy it and there were moments which were truly wonderful but the parts are better than its entirety. 

For those which love adult fantasy like me you are sure to find many things to appreciate here but for many its fiction may go beyond your limits. Regardless I have a soft spot for this book but it will never be a favourite. What did you think about The Night Circus? 

5 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Glad to know you've read it and liked it :) there is so much to appreciate x

      Delete
  2. I love this book! It's funny, when you describe it as a boy's journey, I always thought of it more as (without spoilers) the girl's journey. But I guess that's one of the joys about books ^_^
    Emily | emiloue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true I guess it is a tale of both of their journeys! x

      Delete
  3. I still have mixed feelings about this book, but it does sound like an intricately woven story, and I do like how you've kept the mystery behind it there. Not sure I will be able to get through the beginning but a good review here!

    http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2014/04/sherlock-holmes-game-of-shadows.html

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig