Thursday 10 November 2011

Inspire me


 Work is pretty intense at the moment at university and I want to start everything at the same time so I get a heads up. Right now I am thinking about starting my portfolio but I need some inspiration. As I want to be a journalist I would like to inject a feeling of the magazine in to my aesthetics. Magazines are fantastic for graphic design, compositions, typography, illustration, imagery and styling. With so many publications at my fingertips it is hard to find my muse. I like the urban, underground and alternative qualities of Dazed & Confused, i-D and 1883 but then I also like the feminine, ethereal and modern aspects of Velour and Lula. I am really into graphic, geometric and slightly masculine designs but I'm not sure whether that really expresses my personality. 

Part of my portfolio is to create a visual CV and business card so finding my visual identity is key. I have signed up to Pinterest to try and help reveal this to me but honestly my style is so eclectic I can't define what I like. Finding myself has to be one of the hardest things I have had to do so far on this course. If I was a colour what colour would I be? If I was a typeface what type would I be? Would it be large font or small? Itallic or bold? 

I can't answer these questions right now but I don't have long to discover them. If anyone thinks they can answer any of these questions I would really appreciate it. 

4 comments :

  1. Really nicely written, so I'd happily say that i'd read your work if you did get it into the big magazines for sure.

    It's hard to surmise yourself, I should know being in the same position as you, the many different areas that I enjoy are so eclectic its hard to pinpoint which ones really connect with you.

    Pinterest is great for doing this but as you say, difficult still. My only suggestion would be to carry on what your doing, and eventually it will come to you. We are only young after all and I'm sure there are people in their mid 40's who are still 'finding themselves'

    Life is full of diversity

    good post hollie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so similar to my course at the minute, all about designing and working in a personal way that reflects our identity. It's difficult but I think it can be fun, it's shaping up to be a tough year though. Good luck with everything you're doing, you've just reminded me to get on with my cv!

    wishfulsinfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Hollie! I was just wondering where you managed to get hold of Lula? I've looked everywhere and I can never seem to find one other than online! x

    ReplyDelete

Give Me More

BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig